Printables for This Topic:
Avoiding Double Negatives
– Find the double negative in each sentence. Rewrite the sentence
so that it has only one negative.
Negative Pairs – Choose
the sentence from each pair that is written correctly.
Using Prefixes –
Rewrite each sentence to correct the double negative.
– Rewrite each sentence to correct the double negative.
So Negative – Some words have a negative connotation, and it
is possible to accidentally create a double negative when using these
words in a sentence.
Double Negative Always Wrong? – Sometimes writers will break
grammatical rules for effect. Read this short passage from Mark Twain's
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Then answer the questions.
Corrections – Underline the double negative. Then rewrite each
sentence that contains a double negative on the lines below.
– Correct each sentence by getting rid of the double negative.
– Correct each sentence by getting rid of the double negative. Eliminate
or change words, as necessary. If a sentence is correct, write C on
– Rewrite each sentence to eliminate the double negative.
Prefixes – Each of the words below contains a negative prefix.
Write a sentence with each word that conveys the meaning indicated.