Printables for This Topic:
Dissecting Words – Find out
what the prefix and root mean, then what it means when you combine
Digby Bones – Help lovable
Digby find the root or marrow of his bones.
Growing Words – Add
suffixes to offend and define those new words.
A Riddle –
To find out, write the meaning of each word on the line. Then write
the root word of each word below in the numbered boxes.
5 Common Roots
– A root word is a part of a word that has a meaning of its own.
Many root words come from old words in the Latin and Greek languages.
Root Word Families
– Fill in the blank in the sentences with the correct word, to show
you understand what the word means.
More Root Families
– Based on the meaning of the familiar word, what do you think the
root word means?
What's the Meaning?
– Identify the root word and write it on the line. Then match each
word to its meaning by writing the letter in the blank.
Caravan Word Makeup
– The meaning of each root word below is included in parentheses.
Add prefixes and/or suffixes to each root word below to create as
many new words as you can.
– Ian the Explorer is off on a safari to discover words that are
new to him. Help him to understand the new words by filling out the
Think like a Writer
– Use the Word Bank and what you know about prefixes, suffixes and
root words to complete each sentence. Write the word on the line.
– When a prefix or suffix and a root word come together, in most
cases the meaning of the word is changed, but you can still dig out
the word's meaning by the root!
Using Root Words
for Clues – A root word is a part of a word that has a meaning
of its own. Many root words come from old words in the Latin and Greek