Printables for This Topic:
Does It Fit? – Two of these problems
can really go either way, if you don't read them properly.
Dressing Up Your
Writing – Yes, you need to rewrite all the sentences. The direction
might make you think you didn't have to.
Pick and Write
– Circle the informal word or words and then rewrite those sentences
in a formal style.
A Letter to the Editor
– Think about something that has been in the news lately that affects
you or people that you know.
– More of an identification activity than anything else.
Match The Theme
– A little bit of academic piece for you to work with here.
That Takes Character
– Determine whether each of the situations and characteristics below
belong to formal or to informal writing.