Printables for This Topic:
Smooth Flow – Make the words
in this paragraph flow like a river.
Make a Pair – Take two sentences
and make them into one concise paragraph.
– Your teacher has asked you to write a report to read to the class
and you know that if you use linking words, it will flow better.
Addition of Words
– The addition of transitional or linking words ensures that your
writing flows without choppy sentences.
– Fill in the missing transitional words in the note from the principal
using the words in the box below.
Make It Flow –
On a separate sheet of paper, write two sentences per category that
use a word or phrase from that category.
– Read the article below and underline the transitional or linking
words or phrases.
The Perfect Pairing
– Use a linking word or phrase to make each of the paired sentences
below just one sentence.
Build a Sandwich
– Use transitional words to help explain how to build a sandwich.
Clip Them –
Fill in the best connecting word.
– Think of three things to write about and give examples. Make sure
to use the linking words 'or example' and 'also' to add on.
BBQ Flyer – Jimmy's
dad is hosting a BBQ this weekend. You need to create a flyer that
invites people to it, using linking and transitional (and, but, as
well as, because of, even though, etc.) to make the flyer flow better.