Printables for This Topic:
Help Wanted – Looking for a
job? Check the help wanted ads.
– Some words have many different meanings, or can be used in many
An antonym for a word is its opposite. Change the meaning of each
sentence below by replacing the underlined word with its antonym.
Use a thesaurus or dictionary to help you.
Looking Up Pronunciation
– A dictionary doesn't just tell you what a word means. It also
tells you how to pronounce it. Read the dictionary page.
Using the Dictionary
– You can use a dictionary to find out how to pronounce words with
which you are unfamiliar.
True or False?
– If what the sentence says is true, write a T on the line. If what
the sentence says is false, write an F on the line.
Descriptive Words – Underline the bland, weak word in each sentence
below. Then use a thesaurus to find a synonym that is more precise
and descriptive to replace them.
– Read the sentences below. Look up each underlined word in the
dictionary. If the sentence is correct, put a ? in the box. If the
sentence is silly put an S in the box.