Printables for This Topic:
Drawing – Sometimes authors
expect some brain synapses to fire when you are reading their work.
Assertions – Let's make these
words big, bolder, and just better.
Why the Dove is Timid
– The author says that if the Indians are cowardly, then the spirit
manito is angry. How does the author prove this point in the text?
Direct and Indirect
Quotes – Read each sentence carefully. Write direct or indirect
on the line. If it is a direct quote, add punctuation.
– An author does not always tell us everything. Sometimes the author
leaves out details on purpose.
2 – Read each sentence. What conclusion can you draw from the
sentence? Explain your answer.
A Treasure Hunt
– What evidence does the author provide that the third tree was
– Decide which resource if the best to use to answer each question.
Spin the wheel!
An Old War Horse
– When Captain says the sea voyage was "dreadful", is it an argument
or an assertion? Explain your answer.