5th Grade Reading Comprehension Worksheets:
A Ghost Story
- The not so scary haunted house. Answer the questions below to show that you have understood the story.
Waking at Night
- This one starts out very cryptic and makes more sense as you progress
through the poem. Let's see what you make of this poem.
- Superhero School is in session and Abigail puts her best foot
forward. What does Abigail want in the beginning of this story, and why?
The World Inside Us
- A very emotional poem. What kind of figurative language does the poet use to convey meaning?
The Jump - The
sole survivor of a plane crash has a big choice to make. List all the reasons that Derek doesn't want to return to where he came from.
in the Woodstove - One late spring day, Terry was doing her
homework on the living room sofa, when she heard a fluttering sound
coming from the woodstove.
- " I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me," Explain the literal meaning of the last stanza. Why is the speaker's shadow still "Fast asleep
Silverback - Ned and Molly squatted with their backs to the
glass between the two gorilla enclosures, casually ignoring a gorilla.
Life - A very cute poem especially is you are a Generation-Xer. What do the words in the poem have in common?
- Carl Lewis is one of the greatest athletes the world has ever
known. He set world records in both running and the long jump.
Why Bat Has
No Friends - A long time ago, for reasons that have been lost
to history, the birds and the animals did not get along, and they
went to war.
- Once upon a time, a mouse and a bird were very good friends. What do you think the theme of this story is? What makes you think so?
Poems - Discuss the following words and phrases the poet uses
in the poem. Do they suggest a meaning behind the poem's literal meaning?
Robot - Mindy loved math and science but she did not like English.
Math and science were definite.
and the Bell - A man once had a dog that was the terror of the
community. He would sneak up on people quietly and bite them, taking
them quite by surprise.