Printables for This Topic:
Using a Thesaurus – Use
the sentence to help you understand the word and then come up with
other words that mean the same thing.
Caterpillar Clarify – This
is a reverse Tri-bond opportunity, if you have ever played that game.
– Some words have many different meanings, or can be used in many
Use a print or digital thesaurus to find antonyms for each italicized
word. Write your synonyms in the chart.
Looking Up Pronunciation
– A dictionary doesn't just tell you what a word means. It also
tells you how to pronounce it. Read the dictionary entries first.
Using the Dictionary
– You can use a dictionary to find out how to pronounce words with
which you are unfamiliar.
True or False
– If what the sentence says is true, write a T on the line. If what
the sentence says is false, write an F on the line.
The Wizard's Spell
Book – Look up the word in bold in a dictionary or thesaurus.
In each book, choose which of the other words in the box makes the
best synonym. Circle it.
– Use the dictionary page below to choose which word should complete