Printables for This Topic:
Feelings and Words – Words
can have either positive or negative connotations. Connotation means
the ideas or feelings associated with a word.
or Disapproval – Read each of the sentences. Decide from the
connotation of the words used whether the speaker is showing approval
(A) or disapproval (D).
Denotation and Connotation
– Read the words. Then sort them into the correct category depending
on whether they have a positive or negative connotation.
– Circle the phrase in each pair that has the most positive connotation.
Fish Out of Water
– For each of the following definitions, think of one word with
a positive connotation and one word with a negative connotation.
Thoughts – Read each sentence. Circle the word with the negative
– Underline the word in each pair that has a positive connotation.
– Replace each word with a synonym that has a positive connotation.
Then write a sentence that uses the synonym correctly.
Where Does It Belong
– Categorize the following words as positive, neutral or negative.
Use a dictionary to help you if needed.