Printables for This Topic:
Many teachers have asked us to create open reading passages that focus
on Social Studies content. These printables are just reading passages
with no activities or tasks attached to them.
American History Reading Passages
War – It took only 4 years, but had a major impact on over 150
years of culture.
– Each American accounts for 2 kilograms of garbage produced each
day, if you do the math.
Black History –
George Washington Carver was able to make 300 different products from
– If you look back in history, there were twice as many failed colonies
as there were successful colonies.
Americans – The Iroquois Indians had the first known democracy
to use "checks and balances" in North America.
of America – Colorado had the world's largest silver nugget
weighing just under a ton.
– While a thing of the past in America, this still goes on in the
Constitution – Thanksgiving was initially a day for giving thanks
to this document.
Presidents – Do you know where the phrase "OK" comes
from? The press got it from Martin Van Buren.
and Elections – There is a tie for the candidate to carry the
most States in history. Reagan and wouldn't you know it, Nixon.
History – Did you know that until 1969 a women could not divorce
her spouse without showing fault?
Countries and Continents Reading Passages
– Over 1,000 languages are spoken on this continent..
– The lowest recorded temperature here was negative 129 °F (-89
– Not many people know that the Blackberry (smartphone) was developed
– The world's second largest economic power and home to the largest
– Made up of just under 7,000 islands.
World History Reading Passages
Egypt – The process to properly make a mummy took 70 days.
Rome – They are credited with trial by Jury. Although military
leaders would often stack the deck.
– Many explorers were map makers and navigators, but they didn't
know the inner workings of a ship.
– If we just had a time machine, this is a time period we wish we
Leaders – Turkmenistan�s president was the dentist of the previous
Religions – Many religions have a period of meditation that
is meant to heal body and soul.