Printables for This Topic:
Choose 3 – We give you a
word and ask you classify where it fits into the picture here.
Find the Right
Word – Put a check mark next to the sentence in which the word
used has an appropriate connotation.
Happy and Sad
– Read the words. Then sort them into the correct category depending
on whether they have a positive or negative connotation.
When Do I Use It?
– Circle the sentence in each pair that uses a word that has the
most appropriate connotation.
Make A Splash!
– For each of the following definitions, think of one word with
a positive connotation and one word with a negative connotation.
Picky Word Choice
– Read each sentence. Circle the word that best completes the sentence.
Shades of Meaning
– Write a sentence using each word. Then replace each word with
a synonym that has a different connotation.
Usage – A word's denotation is its dictionary definition. But
a word can also evoke certain thoughts and feelings.