8th Grade Writing Prompts Worksheets:
Follow the Money - This writing prompt is pretty deep. If we focus
on the quality of our food supply, wouldn't we be healthier? Conduct some brief research, if necessary, to better understand the topic. Then
take a position, developing the topic with relevant, well‐chosen facts, definitions, concrete
details, quotations, or other information and examples. Write several paragraphs which
completely answer the prompt.
The Human Race? - Look at
both extreme measures of it. What are the best and worst qualities of the human race?
Time Travel - If you jumped
back to the 1700s, what skills or knowledge would you bring? What knowledge would you want to
take back with you to help make your life
A Second Chance at Life
- A few hundred years is a bit of stretch, I think. If you were to awake several hundred years from now as the first
successful cryogenic patient ever, to find that what killed you has been
cured, and you are once again healthy, what would be your first
thoughts? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of living
out your life in this future time period?
Human Progress? - How
are we doing as a species? Do you think people are getting better (smarter, kinder,
gentler, stronger, healthier, etc.) or worse than they were
three, four or five hundred years ago, or do you think that
human nature has stayed pretty much the same? How?
The Parent Trap
- Are there advantages to being an older parent? Are there disadvantages?
What are they?
To Be or Not to Be (a
Law) - Imagine a society in which there are no laws. What one
thing would you like to do that you are not able to do now?
- What is the best type of music, or genre of book or movie? Why? Students love writing prompts that asks them about their favorite things.
If the Shoes Fit...
- There is an old saying, "You can't really understand someone until
you walk a mile in their shoes." Do you think that this is true?
- A conspiracy theory is a belief that some covert but influential
organization is responsible for a circumstance or event.
A Window to the Past
- Choose someone from American history (living or dead) and imagine
you are able to talk to them for half an hour.
of Parenting - What do you think makes a good parent? Do you
think that there should be some kind of licensing or screening program
in order to have children?